Each and every day, I’ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writers’ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
Before we get to today’s games, let’s take a spin through last night’s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Sunday, June 17th.
5 Good Nights
- Pedro Alvarez: 3-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 6 RBI
- Max Scherzer: 8.0 IP, 7 H, 0 ER, 12 K’s, W
- Chris Capuano: 8.0 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 12 K’s, W
- Jason Kipnis: 3-5, 2 R, HR, RBI, 1 steal
- Colby Rasmus: 3-4, 2 R, HR, 3 RBI
Honorable Mention: Quinton Berry, David Ortiz, Ian Kinsler, Adrian Beltre, Joe Mauer, Starlin Castro, Jamey Carroll, Jose Quintana, Garrett Richards, Clayton Richard, Ian Kennedy, Madison Bumgarner, Randall Delgado, Ivan Nova, Adam Wainwright, Chris Young, Felix Hernandez, Alex Cobb, Colby Lewis, Johnny Cueto, Wei-Yin Chen
5 Bad Nights
- Brad Lincoln: 3.1 IP, 8 H, 4 ER, BB, 2 K’s
- Jeremy Guthrie: 3.0 IP, 8 H, 3 ER, 2 BB’s, 2 K’s
- Kyle Kendrick: 6.1 IP, 8 H, 5 ER, 2 BB’s, 4 K’s
- Josh Willingham: 0-6
- David Freese: 0-6
Dishonorable Mention: Raul Ibanez, Cody Ransom, Alex Rodriguez, Jemile Weeks, Aramis Ramirez, Ryan Braun, Eric Hosmer, Shawn Camp, Sergio Romo, Alfredo Aceves, Addison Reed, Jeanmar Gomez, Huston Street, Nick Blackburn
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- Evan Longoria (hamstring) is reportedly making good progress in his rehab and could potentially return to the Rays’ lineup on Wednesday.
- Contrary to a few reports I had read over the weekend, Tim Lincecum will remain in the Giants’ rotation and will NOT be moved to the bullpen.
- Brandon Beachy was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a elbow injury and will undergo an MRI to determine the extent of the injury (which is unfortunately not a good sign for his owners).
- Bud Norris was placed on the 15-day DL with a hip and knee injury. This doesn’t look like anything serious at the moment, but it does help explain the righty’s’ recent struggles.
- Roy Oswalt allowed two runs in six innings for Triple-A Round Rock and could potentially make his season-debut on Friday against the Colorado Rockies.
- Trout/Harper Watch: With two of baseball’s best prospects being called-up last month, I’m going to dedicate this space to keeping tabs on the youngsters for the near future. Here’s to hoping that you were able to grab one (or both)!
Bryce Harper: Harper went 2-4 yesterday. (.294, 30 R, 7 HR, 19 RBI, 4 steals on the season).
Mike Trout: Trout went 1-4 with one RBI yesterday. (.324, 35 Runs, 6 HR, 27 RBI, 16 steals on the season).
A quick look at some of today’s pitchers to start (3 Up), pitchers to sit (3 Down), pitchers to take a flier on if you need a spot-start (Throwing Darts), and batters with advantageous or disadvantageous matchups (Today’s Swings and Misses).
Matt Cain at Los Angeles Angels
R.A. Dickey vs. Baltimore Orioles
Matt Harrison at San Diego Padres
Matt Minor at New York Yankees
Jason Marquis vs. Texas Rangers
Jake Arrietta at New York Mets
Wade Miley vs. Seattle Mariners
Zach Stewart at Chicago Cubs
Today’s Swings and Misses
- Albert Pujols is 8-for-14 (.571) with two home runs in his career against today’s starter, Matt Cain.
- Paul Konerko is 6-for-12 (.500) with two home runs in his career against today’s starter, Matt Garza.
- Ryan Ludwick is 9-for-21 (.429) with four home runs in his career against today’s starter, Derek Lowe.
- Jack Wilson is 3-for-21 (.143) in his career against today’s starter, C.C. Sabathia.
- Adam Dunn is 1-for-7 (.143) in his career against today’s starter, Matt Garza
- Edwin Encarnacion is 1-for-11 (.091 in his career against today’s starter, Randy Wolf.
Don’t forget to check out the rest of the great content on FantasyPros911.com, starting with some of our most recent updates:
- Editor-in-Chief, Patrick DiCaprio, takes a look at today’s starting pitching matchups in the latest edition of Pitch or Ditch.
- Dan Stack examines some Players to Watch for this week as we approach the end of interleague play.
- Patrick DiCaprio and his patented Closer Identifier Algorithm give predictions to help you stay one step ahead of the closer carousel!
- With Brandon Morrow hitting the DL, Chuck Anderson examines the Blue Jays’ starting rotation in the latest edition of Position Battles.
- Matthew Dewoskin takes a spin on the closer carousel in this week’s Blown Opportunities.
- Collin Hager invented his own system for analyzing a player’s fantasy value, and his HVaC rankings are always a must-read in my book.
- Dave Shovein takes a look ahead at next week’s pitchers in Double Starters.
- Albert Lang is back with one of my favorite articles of the week: The Hot N Cold Fantasy Baseball All-stars.
- Lenny Melnick and his award-winning podcast take a look at Pedro Alvarez, Colby Rasmus, and a whole lot more in today’s episode.
- It’s only June, but it’s never too early for fantasy football! Take a look at Paul Greco’s pre-season rankings, including Quarterback, Running Back, Wide Receiver, Tight End, and Strength of Schedule.