Each and every day, I’ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writers’ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
As always, make sure you’re getting your daily fantasy sports fix by playing the FP911Challenge. Don’t know how to play? Don’t worry, Dan Stack’s got you covered with a quick tutorial and some tips for this week!
Before we get to today’s games, let’s take a spin through last night’s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Thursday, June 21st.
5 Good Nights
- James McDonald: 9.0 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 5 K’s, W
- Clayton Kershaw: 8.0 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 7 K’s
- Will Middlebrooks: 3-4, R, HR, 4 RBI
- Giancarlo Stanton: 2-3, 2 R, HR, RBI, 1 steal
- Andrew McCutchen: 3-4, 2 R, 3 RBI
Honorable Mention: Garrett Jones, Yoenis Cespedes, Greg Dobbs, Prince Fielder, Pedro Alvarez, Travis Blackley, Kyle Lohse, Vance Worley, Gio Gonzalez
5 Bad Nights
- Daisuke Matsuzaka: 5.1 IP, 4 H, 4 ER, BB, 4 K’s
- Carlos Zambrano: 5.0 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 4 BB’s, 3 K’s
- Allen Craig: 0-5
- B.J. Upton: 0-5
- Dustin Pedroia: 0-5
Dishonorable Mention: Neil Walker, Liam Hendriks
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- Drew Stubbs (oblique) will begin a rehab stint today and should be able to return to the Reds’ lineup within a few days as long as he doesn’t suffer any setbacks.
- Speaking of setbacks, Stephen Drew hasn’t suffered any in his rehab stint at Triple-A Reno and looks like he should be able to return to the Diamondbacks within the next week or so.
- Matt Joyce hasn’t played since Tuesday due to tightness in his lower back, and will likely be placed on the disabled list if his injury doesn’t improve soon.
- Jose Valverde will miss the next few games with a sprained wrist, and while the Tigers hope the injury doesn’t keep him out too long, fantasy owners in need of saves would be wise to snag Joaquin Benoit if he’s still available.
- Bryce Harper: Harper went 0-3 with one run and one steal yesterday. (.287, 32 R, 7 HR, 20 RBI, 5 steals on the season).
Mike Trout: The Angels did not play yesterday. (.338, 40 Runs, 6 HR, 28 RBI, 19 steals on the season).
A quick look at some of today’s pitchers to start (3 Up), pitchers to sit (3 Down), pitchers to take a flier on if you need a spot-start (Throwing Darts), and batters with advantageous or disadvantageous matchups (Today’s Swings and Misses).
Chris Sale vs. Milwaukee Brewers
Cliff Lee vs. Tampa Bay Rays
Dan Haren vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
Jeff Samardzija at Arizona Diamondbacks
Jonathon Niese vs. New York Yankees
Jair Jurrjens at Boston Red Sox
Jarrod Parker vs. San Francisco Giants
A.J. Burnett vs. Detroit Tigers
Homer Bailey vs. Minnesota Twins
Today’s Swings and Misses
- David Wright is 11-for-24 (.458) with two home runs in his career against today’s starter, Andy Pettitte.
- David Ortiz is 3-for-6 (.500) with two home runs in his career against today’s starter, Jair Jurrjens.
- A.J. Pierzynski is 19-for-46 (.413) with two home runs in his career against today’s starter, Zack Greinke.
- Albert Pujols is 3-for-18 (.167) in his career against today’s starter, Chad Billingsley.
- Paul Konerko is 9-for-59 (.153) in his career against today’s starter, Zack Greinke.
- Alexei Ramirez is 3-for-23 (.130) in his career against today’s starter, Zack Greinke.
Don’t forget to check out the rest of the great content on FantasyPros911.com, starting with some of our most recent updates:
- Albert Lang takes a look at today’s starting pitching matchups in the latest edition of Pitch or Ditch.
- Collin Hager and his patented HVaC system use the past 30 days to provide updated rankings of the top 50 hitters and pitchers.
- Matthew Dewoskin gives you his weekly take on the closer carousel in the newest edition of Blown Opportunities.
- Albert Lang is back with his weekly Hot N Cold Fantasy Baseball All-stars (which is always a must-read in my book).
- Chuck Anderson is Feeling Minnesota in this week’s Added and Dropped.
- Lenny Melnick and his award-winning podcast take a look at last night’s action and Lenny also wants to buy you a beer in today’s episode.
- Don’t forget to check out Patrick DiCaprio and the crew on this week’s Fantasy Baseball Roundtable Show!
- It’s only June, but it’s never too early for fantasy football! Take a look at Paul Greco’s pre-season rankings, including Quarterback, Running Back, Wide Receiver, Tight End, and Strength of Schedule.