Each and every day, I’ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writers’ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
As always, make sure you’re getting your daily fantasy sports fix by playing the FP911Challenge. Don’t know how to play? Don’t worry, Dan Stack’s got you covered with a quick tutorial and some tips for this week!
Before we get to today’s games, let’s take a spin through last night’s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Friday, June 22nd.
5 Good Nights
- Jason Hammel: 8.0 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 10 K’s, W
- Zack Greinke: 9.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 4 K’s, W
- Chris Sale: 8.0 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 7 K’s
- Ben Revere: 4-4, R, RBI, 2 steals
- Gregor Blanco: 2-4, 2 RBI, 3 steals
Honorable Mention: Ryan Doumit, Franklin Gutierrez, Scott Rolen, Coco Crisp, Carlos Beltran, Jose Bautista, Chase Headley, Ike Davis, Bobby Abreu, Kelly Johnson, Adrian Beltre, David Freese, Salvador Perez, Will Venable, Gaby Sanchez, Josh Reddick, Brett Lawrie, Jair Jurrjens, Lucas Harrell, Jordan Zimmerman, Roy Oswalt, Jonathon Niese, Ubaldo Jimenez, Doug Fister, Jarrod Parker, A.J. Burnett, Jon Lester, Clayton Richard
5 Bad Nights
- Ryan Cook: 0.0 IP, 2 H, 4 ER, 2 BB’s
- Anibal Sanchez: 3.1 IP, 7 H, 6 ER, 4 BB’s, 3 K’s
- Vin Mazzarro: 1.1 IP, 6 H, 7 ER, 2 BB’s, 2 K’s
- Dee Gordon: 0-5
- Carlos Quentin: 0-5
Dishonorable Mention: Ryan Theriot, Chad Billingsley, Kevin Millwood, Dan Haren, Santiago Casilla, Jeff Samardzija, Roman Colon, Andy Pettitte, Nick Blackburn, Christian Friedrich, Homer Bailey
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- Salvador Perez (knee) returned to the Royals’ lineup last night and looked like the sleeper candidate that everyone thought they were drafting before he got hurt in hitting a home run. He won’t play every day (what catcher does?) as he works his way back into shape, but he’s worth a look if he’s sitting on your waiver wire.
- As expected, Rays’ outfielder, Matt Joyce, was placed on the 15-day DL with an oblique strain as a precautionary move. Joyce and the Rays are hopeful that he will only require the minimum stay on the disabled list, but keep an eye on this one as oblique injuries can be tricky business.
- With Matt Capps still nursing an inflamed shoulder (hey Twinkies, there’s this thing called the disabled list!), Glen Perkins picked up the save for Minnesota last night. I recommended grabbing him the other day if you’re desperate for saves, but I’ll say it again: the Twins are playing it safe with Capps and he might be trade-bait anyway, so Perkins is worth a look if you’re in need of some help in the saves category.
- David Hernandez picked up the save for the Diamondbacks last night, but there doesn’t seem to be a closer controversy in Arizona (yet, at least) since Hernandez was brought in to finish the eighth and manager, Kirk Gibson, simply left him in to finish the job. Nevertheless, J.J. Putz hasn’t exactly looked like Mariano Rivera this season, so fantasy owners who are chasing saves might want to give Hernandez a look.
- Felipe Paulino was placed on the disabled list with a torn elbow ligament, which means that anyone who was still hanging on to the Royals’ righty should start looking elsewhere for pitching help.
- Bryce Harper: Harper went 0-4 yesterday. (.280, 32 R, 7 HR, 20 RBI, 5 steals on the season).
Mike Trout: Trout went 1-3 with two runs, one home run, and one RBI yesterday . (.338, 42 Runs, 7 HR, 29 RBI, 19 steals on the season).
A quick look at some of today’s pitchers to start (3 Up), pitchers to sit (3 Down), pitchers to take a flier on if you need a spot-start (Throwing Darts), and batters with advantageous or disadvantageous matchups (Today’s Swings and Misses).
Madison Bumgarner at Oakland A’s
Felix Hernandez at San Diego Padres
Johnny Cueto vs. Minnesota Twins
Randy Wolf at Chicago White Sox
Chris Young vs. New York Yankees
Randall Delgado at Boston Red Sox
Wei-Yin Chen vs. Washington Nationals
Alex Cobb at Philadelphia Phillies
Ervin Santana vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
Today’s Swings and Misses
- Nelson Cruz is 4-for-7 (.571) with three extra-base hits in his career against today’s starter, Josh Outman.
- Jason Giambi is 5-for-7 (.500) with one home run in his career against today’s starter, Colby Lewis.
- James Loney is 5-for-11 (.455) with two doubles and two RBI in his career against today’s starter, Ervin Santana.
- Chase Headley is 2-for-15 (.133) in his career against today’s starter, Felix Hernandez.
- Chris Davis is hitless in 14 career at-bats against today’s starter, Edwin Jackson.
- Matt Wieters is also hitless in his career (12 at-bats) against Edwin Jackson.
Don’t forget to check out the rest of the great content on FantasyPros911.com, starting with some of our most recent updates:
- Collin Hager and his patented HVaC system use the past 30 days to provide updated rankings of the top 50 hitters and pitchers.
- Collin Hager’s been a busy bee and also takes a look at this week’s hitters to keep an eye on in the latest edition of Hit or Ditch.
- Matthew Dewoskin gives you his weekly take on the closer carousel in the newest edition of Blown Opportunities.
- Albert Lang is back with his weekly Hot N Cold Fantasy Baseball All-stars (which is always a must-read in my book).
- Don’t forget to check out Patrick DiCaprio and the crew on this week’s Fantasy Baseball Roundtable Show!
- It’s only June, but it’s never too early for fantasy football! Take a look at Paul Greco’s pre-season rankings, including Quarterback, Running Back, Wide Receiver, Tight End, and Strength of Schedule.