Each and every day, I’ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writers’ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
As always, make sure you’re getting your daily fantasy sports fix by playing the FP911Challenge. Don’t know how to play? Don’t worry, Dan Stack’s got you covered with a quick tutorial and some tips for this week!
Before we get to today’s games, let’s take a spin through last night’s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Sunday, June 24th.
5 Good Nights
- Cody Ross: 2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 5 RBI
- Mike Moustakas: 3-5, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI
- Jimmy Rollins: 3-8, R, HR, RBI, 1 steal
- Mark Buehrle: 7.0 IP, 7 H, 0 ER, 7 K’s, W
- Jose Quintana: 8.0 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 4 K’s
Honorable Mention: Quinton Berry, Andres Torres, Greg Dobbs, Adrian Gonzalez, Chris Johnson, Brooks Conrad, Carlos Beltran, John Buck, Nick Swisher, Derek Norris, Leonys Martin, Josh Willingham, Matt Wieters, Peter Bourjos, Jason Heyward, Matt Holliday, Justin Verlander, Michael Fiers, Wade Miley, Scott Diamond, Mike Leake, Matt Cain, Cole Hamels, J.A. Happ, Matt Garza, David Price, Edinson Volquez, Jake Arrieta, C.C. Sabathia, Matt Harrison, Aaron Cook, Kevin Correia
5 Bad Nights
- Alex White: 2.2 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 4 BB’s, 3 K’s
- Lance Lynn: 5.1 IP, 9 H, 6 ER, BB, 2 K’s
- Santiago Casilla: 0.2 IP, 3 H, 3 ER, 2 K’s
- Derek Jeter: 0-5
- Carlos Gomez: 0-5
Dishonorable Mention: Chris Heisey, Michael Martinez, Joe Nathan, Aroldis Chapman, Wade Davis, Jonathan Sanchez, Mike Minor, R.A. Dickey, Cliff Lee, Jesse Chavez
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- With Joe Saunders hitting the disabled list with a sore shoulder, early reports have Trevor Bauer set to make his highly-anticipated Major League debut this Thursday against the Atlanta Braves. Go get him, prospect hunters!
- I’ll update this on Twitter as soon as I can, but it looks like Anthony Rizzo may get the call today as he’s passed the date that gives the Cubs another year of contractual control.
- In case you missed it, Kevin Youkilis was traded to the Chicago White Sox yesterday and will being serving as the team’s everyday third baseman. I don’t expect him to put up the MVP-type numbers he posted a few years ago, but he can’t get much worse than he was in Boston.
- Frank Francisco was placed on the 15-day DL with an oblique strain, and Bobby Parnell will serve as the interim closer in Queens until Francisco is ready to return.
- Matt Capps is dealing with shoulder pain and has a very good chance of being placed on the disabled list (which would make Glen Perkins and Jared Burton the interim closers – likely in that order).
- Brandon McCarthy was scratched from his start and placed on the 15-day DL with shoulder pain yesterday. This is McCarthy’s second shoulder-related DL stint this season, so this will likely be a recurring issue for the rest of the year.
- Bryce Harper: Harper went 2-4 with one steal yesterday. (.286, 32 R, 7 HR, 20 RBI, 7 steals on the season).
Mike Trout: Trout went 2-5 with one run and one steal yesterday . (.338, 43 Runs, 7 HR, 29 RBI, 21 steals on the season).
A quick look at some of today’s pitchers to start (3 Up), pitchers to sit (3 Down), pitchers to take a flier on if you need a spot-start (Throwing Darts), and batters with advantageous or disadvantageous matchups (Today’s Swings and Misses).
Johan Santana at Chicago Cubs
Stephen Strasburg at Colorado Rockies
Jake Peavy at Minnesota Twins
Rick Porcello at Texas Rangers
Ricky Nolasco vs. St. Louis Cardinals
Francisco Liriano vs. Chicago White Sox
Felix Doubront vs. Toronto Blue Jays
Tommy Milone at Seattle Mariners
Nate Eovaldi at San Francisco Giants
Today’s Swings and Misses
- Matt Holliday is 9-for-18 (.500) with two home runs in his career against today’s starter, Ricky Nolasco.
- Alexei Ramirez is 10-for-25 (.400) with four RBI in his career against today’s starter, Francisco Liriano.
- Rafael Furcal is 6-for-12 (.500) with one home run in his career against today’s starter, Ricky Nolasco.
- Andre Ethier is 6-for-33 (.182) in his career against today’s starter, Barry Zito.
- Alex Rios is 4-for-24 (.167) in his career against today’s starter, Francisco Liriano.
- Alfonso Soriano is hitless in his career against today’s starter, Johan Santana.
Don’t forget to check out the rest of the great content on FantasyPros911.com, starting with some of our most recent updates:
- Patrick DiCaprio takes a look at today’s starting pitching matchups in the latest edition of Pitch or Ditch.
- Chuck Anderson examines the Position Battle at second base for the St. Louis Cardinals and lets you know how it affects your fantasy team.
- Dan Stack put together an extremely helpful list of Players to Watch for this week. Make sure you don’t miss it!
- Greg Marta gives a pitching-focused view of the previous article in Pitching Matchups to Watch for this week.
- You want more Leaders and Laggards? Matthew Dewoskin’s got a double-dip look at Pitchers’ K/BB ratio with Leaders and Laggards.
- It’s only June, but it’s never too early for fantasy football! Take a look at Paul Greco’s pre-season rankings, including Quarterback, Running Back, Wide Receiver, Tight End, and Strength of Schedule.