Each and every day, I’ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writers’ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
As always, make sure you’re getting your daily fantasy sports fix by playing the FP911Challenge.
Before we get to today’s games, let’s take a spin through last night’s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Thursday, June 28th.
5 Good Nights
- Madison Bumgarner: 9.0 IP, H, 0 ER, 8 K’s, W
- Felix Hernandez: 9.0 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 13 K’s, W
- Miguel Cabrera: 4-5, R, HR, 2 RBI
- Ian Kinsler: 4-5, 3 R, 2 steals
- Tyler Colvin: 4-6, R, HR, 5 RBI
Honorable Mention: Johnny Damon, Alexi Amarista, Jose Bautista, Mike Morse, Asdrubal Cabrera, Mark Trumbo, Casey, McGehee, Dayan Viciedo, J.J. Hardy, David Wright, Jeff Mathis, Coco Crisp, Alejandro De Aza, Carlos Gonzalez, Chase Headley, Derek Norris, Austin Jackson, Yoenis Cespedes, Ivan Nova, Franklin Morales, Andrew Cashner, Dallas Keuchel, Max Scherzer, Johnny Cueto, Chris Young, Dylan Axelrod, Chris Capuano
5 Bad Nights
- Edwin Jackson: 3.0 IP, 10 H, 8 ER, 2 BB’s, 5 K’s
- Josh Outman: 3.0 IP, 5 H, 5 ER, BB, 4 K’s
- Brett Cecil: 5.1 IP, 10 H, 8 ER, 2 BB’s, 6 K’s
- Torii Hunter: 0-5
- Andrew McCutchen: 0-5
Dishonorable Mention: Jemile Weeks, Logan Forsythe, Brett Myers, Tyson Ross, Rafael Betancourt, Dan Haren, Wei-Yin Chen, Scott Feldman, Kyle Kendrick
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- After missing Wednesday’s game with a sore elbow, Ryan Braun will return to the Brewers’ lineup tonight.
- Ryan Dempster (strained lat) won’t return until after the All-Star break “at the earliest”, according to Cubs’ manager Dale Sveum.
- Andre Ethier (strained oblique) will not be placed on the disabled list (yet) and is currently listed as day-to-day.
- Trevor Bauer was bothered by a groin issue in his Major League debut last night, but is still on-track for his next start against San Diego next Tuesday.
- Ryan Howard (achilles) began a rehab assignment last night and is reportedly three weeks away from returning to the Phillies lineup (assuming he doesn’t experience any setbacks).
- Trout/Harper/Rizzo/Bauer Watch: With two of baseball’s best prospects being called-up earlier this season, I’m going to dedicate this space to keeping tabs on the youngsters. Here’s to hoping that you were able to grab some of them! (UPDATE: Anthony Rizzo and Trevor Bauer are the latest uber prospects to get the call, so I’ve added them to the list, as well.)
Bryce Harper: Harper went 2-6 with two runs, one home run, and two RBI yesterday. (.282, 36 R, 8 HR, 22 RBI, 8 steals on the season).
Mike Trout: Trout went 2-5 with one run, one home run, and two RBI yesterday. (.345, 48 Runs, 8 HR, 32 RBI, 21 steals on the season).
Anthony Rizzo: The Cubs did not play yesterday. (.375, 1 RBI on the season).
Trevor Bauer: Bauer pitched four innings yesterday and allowed five hits and two earned runs while striking out three to go along with three walks (0-0, 4.50 ERA, 2.00 WHIP, 3 K’s)
A quick look at some of today’s pitchers to start (3 Up), pitchers to sit (3 Down), pitchers to take a flier on if you need a spot-start (Throwing Darts), and batters with advantageous or disadvantageous matchups (Today’s Swings and Misses).
Cole Hamels at Miami Marlins
Justin Verlander at Tampa Bay Rays
R.A. Dickey at Los Angeles Dodgers
Edinson Volquez at Colorado Rockies
Randy Wolf at Arizona Diamondbacks
Ervin Santana at Toronto Blue Jays
Matt Harrison vs. Oakland A’s
Mike Leake at San Francisco Giants
Randall Delgado at Washington Nationals
Today’s Swings and Misses
- B.J. Upton is 8-for-18 (.444) with one home run in his career against today’s starter, Justin Verlander.
- Andrew McCutchen is 7-for-18 (.389) with three extra-base hits in his career against today’s starter, Adam Wainwright.
- Jose Reyes is 16-for-45 (.356) with four extra-base hits in his career against today’s starter, Cole Hamels.
- Jhonny Peralta is hitless in his career (11 at-bats) against today’s starter, David Price.
- Ben Zobrist is 3-for-26 (.115) in his career against today’s starter, Justin Verlander.
- Miguel Cabrera is 1-for-11 (.091) in his career against today’s starter, David Price.
Don’t forget to check out the rest of the great content on FantasyPros911.com, starting with some of our most recent updates:
- Albert Lang takes a look at today’s starting pitching matchups in the latest edition of Pitch or Ditch.
- Albert Lang’s weekly Hot N Cold Fantasy Baseball All-stars is always one of my favorite reads…don’t miss it!
- Editor-in-Chief, Patrick DiCaprio, and his patented Closer Identifier Algorithm are back to help keep you one step ahead of the curve when it comes to predicted closers!
- Just in case you’ve been hiding under a rock, Roy Oswalt is back. Chuck Anderson takes a look at the Rangers’ new pitcher, as well as some other players to grab or kick to the curb in this week’s Added and Dropped.
- Don’t miss Lenny Melnick on today’s podcast as he covers Dan Haren and a whole lot more fantasy baseball goodness!
- It’s only June, but it’s never too early for fantasy football! Take a look at Paul Greco’s pre-season rankings, including Quarterback, Running Back, Wide Receiver, Tight End, and Strength of Schedule.