Each and every day, I’ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writers’ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
As always, make sure you’re getting your daily fantasy sports fix by playing the FP911Challenge.
Before we get to today’s games, let’s take a spin through last night’s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Friday, June 29th.
5 Good Nights
- R.A. Dickey: 8.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 10 K’s, W
- Aaron Cook: 9.0 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 2 K’s, W
- A.J. Pierzynski: 3-5, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI
- Adam Lind: 2-3, 2 R, 2 HR, 4 RBI
- Desmond Jennings: 2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 2 RBI
Honorable Mention: Aaron Hill, Mike Morse, Ben Zobrist, Daniel Murphy, Pedro Alvarez, Andrew McCutchen, Alexei Ramirez, Jay Bruce, Matt Wieters, Allen Craig, Paul Goldschmidt, Ruben Tejada, Paul Maholm, Mike Leake, Luis Mendoza, Matt Harrison, Ian Kennedy, David Price, Josh Johnson, Jeff Francis, A.J. Griffin
5 Bad Nights
- Adam Warren: 2.1 IP, 8 H, 6 ER, 2 BB’s, K
- Jonathan Broxton: 1.0 IP, 2 H, 2 ER, BB
- Randy Wolf: 4.0 IP, 9 H, 7 ER, 6 K’s
- Chris Young: 0-5
- Colby Rasmus: 0-5
Dishonorable Mention: Mike Moustakas, Brett Lawrie, Andres Torres, Rod Barajas, Adam LaRoche, J.J. Hardy, Adam Wainwright, Jake Arrieta, Cliff Lee, Ervin Santana, Kevin Correia, Hector Noesi, Jose Quintana, Jason Marquis, Derek Lowe, Matt Cain, Brian Duensing, Aaron Harang, Justin Verlander, Bud Norris
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- Josh Beckett (shoulder) will make his first start tonight (against Seattle) since being placed on the DL two weeks ago, and the Red Sox don’t expect to limit him on a pitch count.
- Jeremy Hellickson (shoulder) will also make his first start tonight (against Detroit) since being placed on the DL two weeks ago.
- Evan Longoria (hamstring) is still shut down from baseball activities, and his owners should be prepared for a prolonged absence with statements like this from manager Joe Maddon, “I don’t think we’re going to see a whole lot of advancement right now in the near future.”
- Kyle Farnsworth is set to be activated from the DL today, but Fernando Rodney (who has been excellent this season) will remain the Rays’ closer.
- Chris Carpenter threw yesterday, but has also been diagnosed with thoracic outlet syndrome (which causes weakness, numbness, and pain in the neck and shoulder), and his chances of returning this season look to dwindle by the day.
- Trout/Harper/Rizzo/Bauer Watch: With two of baseball’s best prospects being called-up earlier this season, I’m going to dedicate this space to keeping tabs on the youngsters. Here’s to hoping that you were able to grab some of them! (UPDATE: Anthony Rizzo and Trevor Bauer are the latest uber prospects to get the call, so I’ve added them to the list, as well.)
Bryce Harper: Harper went 1-5 yesterday. (.280, 36 R, 8 HR, 22 RBI, 8 steals on the season).
Mike Trout: Trout went 1-5 with one steal yesterday. (.342, 48 Runs, 8 HR, 32 RBI, 22 steals on the season).
Anthony Rizzo: Rizzo went 0-3 yesterday. (.273, 1 RBI on the season).
Trevor Bauer: Bauer’s next start is Tuesday against the Padres. (0-0, 4.50 ERA, 2.00 WHIP, 3 K’s)
A quick look at some of today’s pitchers to start (3 Up), pitchers to sit (3 Down), pitchers to take a flier on if you need a spot-start (Throwing Darts), and batters with advantageous or disadvantageous matchups (Today’s Swings and Misses).
Cole Hamels at Miami Marlins
Stephen Strasburg at Atlanta Braves
Mat Latos at San Francisco Giants
Edinson Volquez at Colorado Rockies
Mike Minor vs. Washington Nationals
Tommy Milone at Texas Rangers
Mark Buehrle vs. Philadelphia Phillies
J.A. Happ at Chicago Cubs
Luke Hochevar at Minnesota Twins
Today’s Swings and Misses
- Dan Uggla is 6-for-11 (.545) with two home runs in his career against today’s starter, Stephen Strasburg.
- Adam Jones is 4-for-8 (.500) one home run in his career against today’s starter, Josh Tomlin.
- Jose Reyes is 16-for-45 (.356) with four extra-base hits in his career against today’s starter, Cole Hamels.
- Justin Smoak is hitless in his career (eight at-bats) against today’s starter, Josh Beckett.
- Justin Morneau is 2-for-11 (.182) in his career against today’s starter, Luke Hochevar.
- Angel Pagan is 2-for-12 (.167) in his career against today’s starter, Mat Latos.
Don’t forget to check out the rest of the great content on FantasyPros911.com, starting with some of our most recent updates:
- Albert Lang’s weekly Hot N Cold Fantasy Baseball All-stars is always one of my favorite reads…don’t miss it!
- Editor-in-Chief, Patrick DiCaprio, and his patented Closer Identifier Algorithm are back to help keep you one step ahead of the curve when it comes to predicted closers!
- It’s only June, but it’s never too early for fantasy football! Take a look at Paul Greco’s pre-season rankings, including Quarterback, Running Back, Wide Receiver, Tight End, and Strength of Schedule.