Each and every day, I’ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writers’ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
As always, make sure you’re getting your daily fantasy sports fix by playing the FP911Challenge.
Before we get to today’s games, let’s take a spin through last night’s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Friday, June 29th.
5 Good Nights
- Hiroki Kuroda: 7.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 11 K’s, W
- Johan Santana: 8.0 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 3 K’s, W
- Alexi Amarista: 2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 4 RBI
- Ryan Braun: 2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI
- Yasmani Grandal: 2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI
Honorable Mention: Jose Lopez, Josh Hamilton, Pedro Alvarez, Cody Ransom, Shin-Soo Choo, Austin Jackson, Chris Davis, Ike Davis, Brett Lawrie, Giancarlo Stanton, Darin Mastroianni, Jose Reyes, Jon Jay, Michael Bourn, Alexi Casilla, Joe Mauer, Lou Marson, Miguel Cabrera, Dewayne Wise, Hunter Pence, Asdrubal Cabrera, Mat Latos, Rick Porcello, Jeff Karstens, Scott Diamond, Barry Zito, Henderson Alvarez, Edinson Volquez, Mark Buehrle, Michael Fiers, Cole DeVries, Matt Garza, Martin Perez, Tommy Milone, Christian Friedrich
5 Bad Nights
- Tommy Hunter: 1.2 IP, 8 H, 5 ER, BB, 2 K’s
- Wade Miley: 3.2 IP, 8 H, 8 ER, BB, 2 K’s
- Chien-Ming Wang: 2.0 IP, 5 H, 4 ER
- Mike Moustakas: 0-8
- Bryce Harper: 0-5
Dishonorable Mention: Casey Kotchman, Aaron Cunningham, Yuniesky Betancourt, Ben Revere, Jeff Francoeur, Jeremy Guthrie, Joaquin Benoit, Jonathan Sanchez, Dana Eveland, Lance Lynn, Garrett Richards, Stephen Strasburg, Nate Eovaldi, Luke Hochevar, Mike Minor, Josh Tomlin
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- Stephen Strasburg left yesterday’s game in the third inning due to possible heat exhaustion. It was 110 degrees in Atlanta yesterday, so as long as this was actually heat exhaustion, there’s nothing to worry about here.
- In his first start off the disabled list, Jeremy Hellickson left Saturday’s start with a bruised shin after being hit by a line drive. This injury is unrelated to the shoulder injury that landed him on the DL, so a bruised shin (X-rays came back negative) shouldn’t be a cause for concern.
- Matt Kemp is planning to begin a rehab assignment before the All-Star break and is targeting a July 13th return to the Dodgers (which would be the team’s first game after the break). That being said, I don’t know how I feel about his plans to participate in the Home Run Derby…
- Jim Thome was traded to the Baltimore Orioles and last I checked, the American League employs the Designated Hitter rule. Thome may not start every day, but he should get more at-bats than he was in Philadelphia and could be a sneaky add for owners that need power.
- Trout/Harper/Rizzo/Bauer Watch: With two of baseball’s best prospects being called-up earlier this season, I’m going to dedicate this space to keeping tabs on the youngsters. Here’s to hoping that you were able to grab some of them! (UPDATE: Anthony Rizzo and Trevor Bauer are the latest uber prospects to get the call, so I’ve added them to the list, as well.)
Bryce Harper: Harper went 0-5 yesterday. (.274, 36 R, 8 HR, 22 RBI, 8 steals on the season).
Mike Trout: Trout went 0-4 yesterday. (.336, 48 Runs, 8 HR, 32 RBI, 22 steals on the season).
Anthony Rizzo: Rizzo went 1-4 with one run, one home run, and two RBI yesterday. (.267, R, HR, 3 RBI on the season).
Trevor Bauer: Bauer’s next start is Tuesday against the Padres. (0-0, 4.50 ERA, 2.00 WHIP, 3 K’s)
A quick look at some of today’s pitchers to start (3 Up), pitchers to sit (3 Down), pitchers to take a flier on if you need a spot-start (Throwing Darts), and batters with advantageous or disadvantageous matchups (Today’s Swings and Misses).
Clayton Kershaw vs. New York Mets
Yu Darvish vs. Oakland A’s
Gio Gonzalez at Atlanta Braves
Erik Bedard at St. Louis Cardinals
Justin Masterson at Baltimore Orioles
Gavin Floyd at New York Yankees
Dillon Gee at Los Angeles Dodgers
Francisco Liriano vs. Kansas City Royals
Phil Hughes vs. Chicago White Sox
Today’s Swings and Misses
- Raul Ibanez is 4-for-8 (.500) with three home runs in his career against today’s starter, Gavin Floyd.
- Geovany Soto is 9-for-21 (.429) with three home runs in his career against today’s starter, Wandy Rodriguez.
- Pedro Alvarez is 5-for-11 (.455) with one home run and five RBI in his career against today’s starter, Jake Westbrook.
- Chris Young is 2-for-16 (.125) in his career against today’s starter, Yovani Gallardo.
- Billy Butler is 5-for-27 (.185) in his career against today’s starter, Francisco Liriano.
- Adam Jones is 1-for-14 (.071) in his career against today’s starter, Justin Masterson.
Don’t forget to check out the rest of the great content on FantasyPros911.com, starting with some of our most recent updates:
- Chuck Anderson takes a look at the competition for Miami’s First Base gig in this week’s Position Battles.
- It’s only June, but it’s never too early for fantasy football! Take a look at Paul Greco’s pre-season rankings, including Quarterback, Running Back, Wide Receiver, Tight End, and Strength of Schedule.