Each and every day, I’ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writers’ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
As always, make sure you’re getting your daily fantasy sports fix by playing the FP911Challenge. Not sure how to play? Don’t worry, because Dan Stack’s got you covered with a quick tutorial and some tips for this week.
Before we get to today’s games, let’s take a spin through last night’s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Friday, July 13th.
5 Good Nights
- Ryan Braun: 4-4, 3 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 1 steal
- Alfonso Soriano: 4-4, 3 R, 2 HR, 5 RBI
- Mark Teixeira: 2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 5 RBI
- Derek Holland: 7.2 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 4 K’s, W
- Justin Masterson: 7.0 IP, 5 H, 0 ER, 5 K’s, W
Honorable Mention: Justin Ruggiano, Mike Trout, Jonny Gomes, David Ross, Cody Ransom, Jhonny Peralta, Josh Willingham, Alcides Escobar, Mark Trumbo, Neil Walker, Daya Viciedo, Lorenzo Cain, Pedro Ciriaco, Martin Maldonado, Ryan Zimmerman, Adam Dunn, Francisco Liriano, Clayton Richard, C.J. Wilson, Paul Maholm, Madison Bumgarner, Doug Fister, Cliff Lee, Clayton Kershaw, Jordan Zimmerman, Christian Friedrich, Ricky Romero, Franklin Morales
5 Bad Nights
- Scott Downs: 0.2 IP, 2 H, 4 ER, 2 BB’s
- Chris Young: 3.0 IP, 6 H, 5 ER, 3 BB’s , 2 K’s
- Ian Kennedy: 5.0 IP, 7 H, 6 ER, 2 BB’s, 4 K’s
- Eric Hosmer: 0-6
- Martin Prado: 0-5
Dishonorable Mention: Marco Scutaro, Casey McGehee, Daniel Murphy, Dustin Ackley, Quintin Berry, Allen Craig, Yuniesky Betancourt, Paul Konerko, Alejandro De Aza, Joe Nathan, Bruce Chen, Tim Hudson, Zack Greinke, Jonathan Broxton, John Axford, Addison Reed, Josh Johnson, James McDonald, Hiroki Kuroda, Jason Hammel, Wandy Rodriguez, Adam Wainwright
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- Make sure you check the lineup first, but Lance Berkman (knee) is expecting to play in the Cardinals’ game at Cincinnati today.
- Adrian Gonzalez was scratched from yesterday’s game with a stiff back, and while this shouldn’t be a long-term issue, his status for today’s game against Tampa Bay is in doubt.
- Jason Kubel is not in today’s lineup due to a sore hamstring. Gerardo Parra will take his place in left field.
- Dustin Pedroia‘s wrist is feeling better, and he’s expecting to be able to play when he’s eligible to return from the DL next weekend.
- Torii Hunter is not in the Angels’ lineup today due to a sore groin. Peter Bourjos will take his place in center field.
- Mike Napoli (thigh injury) is not expected to play today.
- C.C. Sabathia (groin) is expected to return to the Yankees’ rotation Tuesday to make his next scheduled start.
- Trout/Harper/Rizzo/Bauer Watch: With two of baseball’s best prospects being called-up earlier this season, I’m going to dedicate this space to keeping tabs on the youngsters. Here’s to hoping that you were able to grab some of them! (UPDATE: Anthony Rizzo and Trevor Bauer are the latest uber prospects to get the call, so I’ve added them to the list, as well.)
Bryce Harper: Harper went 1-5 with one run and one steal yesterday. (.281, 44 R, 8 HR, 25 RBI, 11 steals on the season).
Mike Trout: Trout went 2-4 with one run and two steals yesterday. (.344, 58 Runs, 12 HR, 40 RBI, 28 steals on the season).
Anthony Rizzo: Rizzo went 2-4 with two runs yesterday. (.365, 9 R, 4 HR, 9 RBI on the season).
Trevor Bauer: Bauer will make his next start on Tuesday against the Cincinnati Reds. (1-1, 5.40 ERA, 1.58 WHIP, 13 K’s on the season)
Starting and sitting the right pitchers on a day-to-day basis is often the linchpin of winning any league – roto, head-to-head, daily, and otherwise. In order to give you some help picking your pitchers for today, I’ve gone through all the stats I could (pitchers’ career numbers vs. certain hitters and lineups, home/road splits, lefty/righty splits, etc) and made nine recommendations. I’m not going to proclaim that I’ll get these 100% correct all season, but anyone that does should be sitting on an island they own in the Pacific – not writing fantasy baseball articles. The goal here is to play the odds the entire season and slowly build your “win” percentage closer to 100% than to 50%.
Here’s today’s recommendations with, 3 Up (three pitchers you shouldn’t think of sitting), 3 Down (three pitchers with some warning flags for today), and Throwing Darts (three pitchers that I’ll be taking a flier on):
R.A. Dickey at Atlanta Braves
Yu Darvish at Seattle Mariners
Gio Gonzalez at Miami Marlins
Ubaldo Jimenez at Toronto Blue Jays
Vance Worley at Colorado Rockies
Kyle Lohse at Cincinnati Reds
Edinson Volquez at Los Angeles Dodgers
Tommy Milone at Minnesota Twins
Mark Buehrle vs. Washington Nationals
Today’s Swings and Misses
A hitter’s career numbers against a pitcher don’t always tell the whole story, but it can be informative if used correctly. I’m of the opinion that some information is better than none, and while there are other pieces to the puzzle of setting your daily lineup (splits, weather, etc.), I think a hitter’s career numbers against a pitcher can be very indicative of future success or failure. Some guys just own certain pitchers, and vice versa. As such, I’ve gone through today’s matchups and picked the best (and worst) matchups I could find. Anything less than 10-12 career at-bats is a relatively small sample-size (so take those with a grain of salt), but sometimes that’s all that is available.
- Billy Butler is 7-for-18 (.389) with three home runs in his career against today’s starter, Jake Peavy.
- Ryan Braun is 8-for-26 (.308) with two home runs in his career against today’s starter, Kevin Correia.
- Casey Kotchman is 9-for-10 (.900) with four extra-base hits in his career against today’s starter, Aaron Laffey.
- Dan Uggla is 1-for-25 (.040) in his career against today’s starter, R.A. Dickey.
- Jose Bautista is hitless in his career (12 at-bats) against today’s starter, Ubaldo Jimenez.
- Josh Hamilton is 8-for-45 (.178) in his career against today’s starter, Felix Hernandez.
Don’t forget to check out the rest of the great content on FantasyPros911.com, starting with some of our most recent updates:
- Dan Stack identifies some guys to keep a close eye on in this week’s Players to Watch.
- Sick of the fans voting for the All-Star Game? Collin Hager’s HVaC 1st Half Review does a much better job of telling you who deserved to be there.
- Chuck Anderson gives you this week’s Add and Drops in the Break Time Edition.
- The calendar has turned to July, which means it’s time to start talking fantasy football! Before you start mock drafting, make sure you check out Paul Greco’s pre-season rankings, including Quarterback, Running Back, Wide Receiver, Tight End, and Strength of Schedule.
- Collin Hager continues the fantasy football trend with a look at the impact of this year’s rookie quarterbacks.
- Steve DeAngelo previews Roy Helu’s impact on this year’s class of running backs.