Each and every day, I’ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writers’ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
Before we get to today’s games, let’s take a spin through last night’s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Sunday, July 1st.
5 Good Nights
- Trevor Plouffe: 2-4, 2 R, 2 HR, 2 RBI
- Travis Wood: 7.2 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 4 K’s, W
- Kip Wells: 7.0 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 2 K’s, W
- Ryan Zimmerman: 3-5, 2 R, HR, 4 RBI
- Dee Gordon: 2-5, R, RBI, 3 steals
Honorable Mention: Brendan Ryan, Logan Forsythe, Dustin Pedroia, Irving Falu, Josh Willingham, Colby Rasmus, Drew Butera, Freddie Freeman, Michael McKenry, Ryan Theriot, Mike Trout, Shelley Duncan, Buster Posey, Eric Hosmer, Phil Hughes, Jason Vargas, Ryan Vogelsong, Travis Blackley, Ricky Nolasco, Justin Masterson, Yu Darvish, Yovani Gallardo, Josh Collmenter, Drew Pomeranz, C.J. Wilson
5 Bad Nights
- Erik Bedard: 4.2 IP, 8 H, 5 ER, 2 BB’s, 5 K’s
- Bruce Chen: 5.2 IP, 6 H, 6 ER, BB, 5 K’s
- Brian Matusz: 4.0 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 3 BB’s, 2 K’s
- Michael Bourn: 0-5
- Zack Cozart: 0-5
Dishonorable Mention: Gregor Blanco, Garrett Jones, Francisco Cordero, Johnny Venters, Brandon League, Glen Perkins, Jordan Walden, Tim Hudson, Gavin Floyd, Gio Gonzalez, Francisco Liriano, Alex Cobb, Jake Westbrook
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- Roy Halladay (shoulder) has now thrown twice in the last three days and is targeting a return to the Phillies shortly after the All-Star break.
- There was no reason to have him on your roster anyway, but Brian Matusz has been demoted to Triple-A Norfolk and will reportedly be replaced by Chris Tillman in the Orioles’ rotation.
- Those of you that are still living in the mid-2000′s shouldn’t get too excited, but Ben Sheets is reportedly a few weeks away from potentially joining the Atlanta Braves. Like I said, I wouldn’t get too excited, but I thought it was interesting enough to pass along nonetheless.
- Frank Francisco (strained oblique) will likely return to the Mets right after the All-Star break, so you might want to start trying to flip Bobby Parnell before anyone hears this news!
- Lonnie Chisenhall will miss 1o to 12 weeks with a broken ulna bone in his right forearm.
- Trout/Harper/Rizzo/Bauer Watch: With two of baseball’s best prospects being called-up earlier this season, I’m going to dedicate this space to keeping tabs on the youngsters. Here’s to hoping that you were able to grab some of them! (UPDATE: Anthony Rizzo and Trevor Bauer are the latest uber prospects to get the call, so I’ve added them to the list, as well.)
Bryce Harper: Harper went 2-4 with two runs yesterday. (.274, 38 R, 8 HR, 22 RBI, 8 steals on the season).
Mike Trout: Trout went 2-4 with three runs, one home run, and one RBI yesterday. (.339, 51 Runs, 9 HR, 33 RBI, 22 steals on the season).
Anthony Rizzo: Rizzo went 1-4 with one run and one RBI yesterday. (.263, 2 R, HR, 4 RBI on the season).
Trevor Bauer: Bauer’s next start is tomorrow against the Padres. (0-0, 4.50 ERA, 2.00 WHIP, 3 K’s)
A quick look at some of today’s pitchers to start (3 Up), pitchers to sit (3 Down), pitchers to take a flier on if you need a spot-start (Throwing Darts), and batters with advantageous or disadvantageous matchups (Today’s Swings and Misses).
Zack Greinke vs. Miami Marlins
Jered Weaver at Cleveland Indians
Jason Hammel at Seattle Mariners
Clayton Richard at Arizona Diamondbacks
Carlos Zambrano at Milwaukee Brewers
Matt Moore vs. New York Yankees
Doug Fister vs. Minnesota Twins
Homer Bailey at Los Angeles Dodgers
Trevor Cahill vs. San Diego Padres
Today’s Swings and Misses
- Justin Morneau is 5-for-9 (.545) with one home run in his career against today’s starter, Doug Fister.
- Drew Stubbs is 4-for-9 (.444) with one home run in his career against today’s starter, Chad Billingsley.
- Chris Young is 4-for-12 (.333) with two home runs in his career against today’s starter, Clayton Richard.
- Joe Mauer is hitless in his career (13 at-bats) against today’s starter, Doug Fister.
- Dan Uggla is 1-for-11 (.091) in his career against today’s starter, Jeff Samardzija.
- Carlos Pena is 4-for-39 (.103) in his career against today’s starter, Freddy Garcia.
Don’t forget to check out the rest of the great content on FantasyPros911.com, starting with some of our most recent updates:
- Greg Marta takes a look at today’s pitching matchups in the latest edition of Pitch or Ditch.
- Dan Stack identifies players that you’ll want to keep on your radar in Players to Watch for Week 14.
- Collin Hager invented his own ranking system, and in case you haven’t seen it yet, you absolutely HAVE to check out his HVaC rankings.
- Collin had a busy weekend and also put together a look at this week’s hitters in Hit or Ditch.
- Matthew Dewoskin examines the latest happenings on the closer carousel in this week’s Blown Opportunities.
- Matthew Dewoskin also dives into some swing percentage research in order to deliver you this week’s double-dose of Leaders and Laggards.
- It’s always important to know which starters have two starts in a week, and Dave Shovein did the work for you in this week’s Double Starters.
- The calendar has turned to July, which means it’s time to start talking fantasy football! Before you start mock drafting, make sure you check out Paul Greco’s pre-season rankings, including Quarterback, Running Back, Wide Receiver, Tight End, and Strength of Schedule.