Each and every day, I’ll be combing over box scores and scouring local beat writers’ reports to make sure you have all the information you need in order to make the right decisions for your fantasy baseball lineup. Make sure you check back at this very spot for Hot/Cold Streaks, Injury News, Closer Updates, Daily Stats, and more so that you can stay one step ahead of the rest of your league.
As always, make sure you’re getting your daily fantasy sports fix by playing the FP911Challenge. Not sure how to play? Don’t worry, because Dan Stack’s got you covered with a quick tutorial and some tips for this week.
Before we get to today’s games, let’s take a spin through last night’s box scores to identify the Studs and Duds from Tuesday, July 3rd.
5 Good Nights
- Chipper Jones: 5-5, 4 RBI, 1 steal
- Jonathon Niese: 8.0 IP, 3 H, ER, 3 K’s, W
- Chris Sale: 7.0 IP, 5 H, ER, 4 K’s, W
- Kevin Youkilis: 3-6, 3 R, HR, 4 RBI
- Joe Mauer: 3-5, 3 R, HR, RBI, 1 steal
Honorable Mention: Aramis Ramirez, Daniel Murphy, David Wright, Jason Kubel, Danny Espinosa, A.J. Pierzynski, Alex Rios, Josh Willingham, Michael Bourn, Adam Lind, Ryan Braun, Everth Cabrera, Desmond Jennings, Carlos Gomez, Sean Rodriguez, Adam Dunn, Paul Goldschmidt, Jose Reyes, Rickie Weeks, Corey Hart, Andrew McCutchen, Brennan Boesch, Wei-Yin Chen, Johnny Cueto, Jon Lester, Bartolo Colon, Chris Capuano, Jordan Zimmerman, Jair Jurrjens, Marco Estrada
5 Bad Nights
- Roy Oswalt: 4.2 IP, 13 H, 9 ER, BB, 4 K’s
- Tim Lincecum: 3.1 IP, 9 H, 7 ER, 2 BB’s , 2 K’s
- Trevor Bauer: 3.1 IP, 6 H, 6 ER, 4 BB’s, 4 K’s
- Asdrubal Cabrera: 0-5
- Ike Davis: 0-5
Dishonorable Mention: Ryan Theriot, Brian Dozier, J.D. Martinez, Heath Bell, Nick Blackburn, Vance Worley, Alfredo Aceves, Dan Haren, Chris Volstad, Ross Ohlendorf, A.J. Burnett, Vin Mazzaro, Anibal Sanchez, Lucas Harrell, Justin Grimm
Daily Grab Bag
Check back here for daily updates on injuries, closer battles, player news, and anything else that might affect your fantasy baseball team.
- Chris Carpenter is set to undergo season-ending surgery to alleviate a nerve-related condition, so it’s time to drop the Cardinals’ co-ace if you’ve been hanging onto him.
- Matt Joyce (oblique) will begin a short rehab stint at Triple-A Durham and is targeting a return to the Ray’s lineup this weekend.
- After getting roughed-up last night, Dan Haren finally admitted that his back injury that he’s had since Spring Training is still bothering him. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Haren hit the DL, so be prepared if you own him.
- Trout/Harper/Rizzo/Bauer Watch: With two of baseball’s best prospects being called-up earlier this season, I’m going to dedicate this space to keeping tabs on the youngsters. Here’s to hoping that you were able to grab some of them! (UPDATE: Anthony Rizzo and Trevor Bauer are the latest uber prospects to get the call, so I’ve added them to the list, as well.)
Bryce Harper: Harper went 2-5 with one run and one RBI yesterday. (.276, 39 R, 8 HR, 23 RBI, 8 steals on the season).
Mike Trout: Trout went 2-5 with one run, one home run, and 3 RBI yesterday. (.340, 52 Runs, 10 HR, 36 RBI, 22 steals on the season).
Anthony Rizzo: Rizzo went 1-4 with one run yesterday. (.296, 4 R, 2 HR, 5 RBI on the season).
Trevor Bauer: Bauer struggled against the Padres last night to the tune of 3.2 IP, 6 H, 6 ER, 4 BB’s, 4 K’s. (0-1, 9.82 ERA, 2.45 WHIP, 7 K’s on the season)
Starting and sitting the right pitchers on a day-to-day basis is often the linchpin of winning any league – roto, head-to-head, daily, and otherwise. In order to give you some help picking your pitchers for today, I’ve gone through all the stats I could (pitchers’ career numbers vs. certain hitters and lineups, home/road splits, lefty/righty splits, etc) and made nine recommendations. I’m not going to proclaim that I’ll get these 100% correct all season, but anyone that does should be sitting on an island they own in the Pacific – not writing fantasy baseball articles. The goal here is to play the odds the entire season and slowly build your “win” percentage closer to 100% than to 50%.
Here’s Tuesdays recommendations with, 3 Up (three pitchers you shouldn’t think of sitting), 3 Down (three pitchers with some warning flags for today), and Throwing Darts (three pitchers that I’ll be taking a flier on):
Madison Bumgarner at Washington Nationals
Justin Verlander vs. Minnesota Twins
Cliff Lee at New York Mets
Josh Johnson at Milwaukee Brewers
Ervin Santana at Cleveland Indians
David Price vs. New York Yankees
Franklin Morales at Oakland A’s
Mike Leake at Los Angeles Dodgers
Dallas Keuchel vs. Pittsburgh Pirates
Today’s Swings and Misses
A hitter’s career numbers against a pitcher don’t always tell the whole story, but it can be informative if used correctly. I’m of the opinion that some information is better than none, and while there are other pieces to the puzzle of setting your daily lineup (splits, weather, etc.), I think a hitter’s career numbers against a pitcher can be very indicative of future success or failure. Some guys just own certain pitchers, and vice versa. As such, I’ve gone through today’s matchups and picked the best (and worst) matchups I could find. Anything less than 12-15 career at-bats is a relatively small sample-size (so take those with a grain of salt), but sometimes that was available.
- Robinson Cano is 20-for-51 (.392) with three home runs in his career against today’s starter, Justin Verlander.
- Albert Pujols is 10-for-31 (.323) with one home run and 10 RBI in his career against today’s starter, Derek Lowe.
- Nick Swisher is 12-for-30 (.400) with one home run in his career against today’s starter, David Price.
- Ike Davis is hitless in his career (eight at-bats) against today’s starter, Cliff Lee.
- Mark Teixeira is 9-for-42 (.214) in his career against today’s starter, David Price.
- Austin Jackson is 3-for-16 (.188) in his career against today’s starter, Brian Duensing.
Don’t forget to check out the rest of the great content on FantasyPros911.com, starting with some of our most recent updates:
- Chuck Anderson takes a look at today’s pitching matchups in the latest edition of Pitch or Ditch.
- Albert Lang’s weekly Hot N Cold Fantasy Baseball All-Stars help give you an idea of who’s hot and who’s not.
- Looking for the right pitchers to start this week? Greg Marta’s got you covered with a look at Pitching Matchups to Watch for this week.
- Dan Stack identifies players that you’ll want to keep on your radar in Players to Watch for Week 14.
- Collin Hager invented his own ranking system, and in case you haven’t seen it yet, you absolutely HAVE to check out his HVaC rankings.
- Collin had a busy weekend and also put together a look at this week’s hitters in Hit or Ditch.
- Matthew Dewoskin examines the latest happenings on the closer carousel in this week’s Blown Opportunities.
- Matthew Dewoskin also dives into some swing percentage research in order to deliver you this week’s double-dose of Leaders and Laggards.
- It’s always important to know which starters have two starts in a week, and Dave Shovein did the work for you in this week’s Double Starters.
- Lenny Melnick and his award-winning podcast are back with a rundown of last night’s action and a whole lot more on today’s edition!
- The calendar has turned to July, which means it’s time to start talking fantasy football! Before you start mock drafting, make sure you check out Paul Greco’s pre-season rankings, including Quarterback, Running Back, Wide Receiver, Tight End, and Strength of Schedule.