Each week, this space will take a look at the key players in the news that will have some sort of impact on your fantasy decisions. That impact could be upgrading a passing game, a player missing due to a suspension or injury, or notes about key happenings in practice. Whatever the news, come here each Wednesday to take stock of what happened and what the good word is as the next weekend’s games approach.
- The Redskins could have more problems with their secondary as Deangelo Hall could easily be suspended thanks to his contact with an official this weekend. Hall lost his cool towards the end of the game with Pittsburgh. While the Panthers may not have the most prolific passing attack at this time, they certainly could get a boost if Washington is without their top corner.
- Sticking in Washington, we need to mention how bad their receivers were this weekend. While Robert Griffin III could maybe have been better, there is absolutely no excuse for his receivers dropping ten passes. It probably does not get much worse than that the rest of the way, but it certainly indicates the talent around the young quarterback.
- With Norv Turner admitting he is largely coaching from week-to-week, there has to be a hint of desperation around how he approaches Thursday’s game with Kansas City. The Chargers have looked loss on offense of late and the two field goals scored on Sunday against Cleveland did nothing to change that view.
- According to reports out Tuesday afternoon, the Eagles still plan to stick with Michael Vick as their quarterback this week. There is absolutely no doubt that he is on a very tight string and any bad play could spell the end of his time at starter. Still, a game against New Orleans and their Swiss cheese defense could do wonders for his confidence. A bad game there would really be saying something.
- Though the trade deadline has been extended through Thursday, there are few people anticipating that Steven Jackson will actually be moved. While teams including the Packers are possible destinations, Jackson seems destined to stay in St. Louis. The continued usage of Daryl Richardson indicates he is falling out of favor, but the package to get him is seemingly cost prohibitive. Bad fantasy news for both running backs.
- The Cowboys may still be without Demarco Murray this week as he continues to recover from a sprained foot. Dallas has struggled on the ground since losing Murray and it has largely made them a one-dimensional team. Without him it could be again left up to Tony Romo to try and win the game with his arm. The Cowboys had just 19 yards on 17 carries against the Giants and Felix Jones has averaged only 3.4 yards per carry this season.
- Matt Moore went 11-for-19 for 131 yards against the Jets in relief of Ryan Tannehill this weekend. Moore was an adequate starter in Miami last year and he threw 12 touchdowns against just four interceptions over the final seven games of last season. In that were two three-touchdown performances as well. While the extent of the injury to Tannehill is not known at this point, Moore could continue to make Miami’s offense more viable than not.